The Magic -- Translating human ideas into coded representations.
-- Prof Kurti
As with most magic tricks, we are going to learn, practice, and get good at putting things right where they belong and when they belong there. Also as with magic tricks, most of the trick is in the thinking ahead of time. To be pulled off flawlessly, we will learn a little code and LOT of thinking, but we will have more time to unpack these things.
To get started, let's do a quick check to make sure you will have the computer tools you need to succeed. This is a programming class, and most of our tools will be digital. Also since we are all dealing with the challenges of COVID-19, this is an online class, but you probably figured that out already since you are reading this on a computer or other device. Here are the important resources you will need to have or find or borrow:
MUST HAVE list
- Computer (laptop or desktop with ANY operating system)
- Browser (Firefox, Chrome, Opera, Safari, Edge, etc)
- Text editor (almost EVERY computer has one of these)
- Internet connection (wired, wireless, mobile, etc)
LEVEL UP list
- Text-coloring editor (such as Sublime Text, Bluefish, Atom, etc)
BEST CASE scenario list
- Firefox browser
- Sublime Text editor
- Fast internet connection (any network supporting real-time videos and video conferencing)
The above RECOMMENDED software packages are available for free on any platform (PC, Mac, Linux). They are also much more likely to be used in class examples. While you do not need to have the same browser and editor as we use in the examples, it will make understanding concepts much simpler and quicker.
Let's get started. Click here to start learning.
- Teacher: Steve Kurti